Snort mailing list archives

Re: non-root user cannot run snort

From: Brian <bmc () snort org>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 12:36:34 -0500

On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 12:08:43AM +0800, Robert Storey wrote:
I'm very new at using Snort, so forgive the ignorance :-(

I want to run Snort as some other user than root. Unfortunately, I only
have success as root.

Sure, non-root users can run snort.  One of my first submissions to
snort that got "accepted" as to allow non-root users to run snort.

This has been hashed out on snort-users many times.

On BSD, this is rather simple.  chown bpf devices so that bob can read
from the interfaces.

On Linux, you will need to patch your kernel.  One of many patches
that provide support for this is available at http://killa.net/infosec/acls/

-brian