Snort mailing list archives

Re: Off topic- Your Favorite Linux Distro

From: "Kristofer T. Karas" <ktk () enterprise bidmc harvard edu>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 18:49:47 -0500

DeBerry, Casey wrote:

We have decided to move our new linux installations from Redhat to another distro.. As this is the only distro besides suse I have used in the past, was curious to see what others are using. Basically, we like the Redhat update software, but are not willing to pay for it... Any of the other distro's using update software that will bring packages up to date?

I dislike redhat because they tend to make gratuitous patches to commonly used system utilities without documenting how those break the behavior specified in the manual page. (For example, their version of /bin/bash will silently ignore the output of piped '|' commands if stdin/stdout are network streams - took several hours of head scratching to find that one!) And their whole system initialization process seems cumbersome. As one attuned to the security industry, I prefer an OS that puts everything right up front hiding little if anything; for me, that means Slackware.

I have an auto-update facility I wrote (one script per application) that automatically goes off to the source website, checks for a newer distribution, downloads, compiles, configures and installs the new application. That way, I don't have to wait for the OS vendor to get around to releasing a security patch (though Slackware seems pretty good in this regard). My rule of thumb is that any piece of software that listens on an externally accessible port (or processes data read from same as part of a library) should be auto-updated; I have scripts for imapd, ldap, links, lynx, mysql, nessus, nmap, ntp, openssl, php, rsync, samba, sara, sendmail, net-snmp, snort, spamassassin, squid and ssh. So far, seems to work for me. :-)

Kris