Snort mailing list archives

[Snort-users]Problem with configuration

From: jim_patterson () comcast net
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 23:29:00 +0000

I have done a basic setup with snort and have been using on the internet side
of the firewall. But due to the large amount of noise I decided to
move/connect it to my internal subnet.  When I move from my external subnet
to my internal subnet, everthing appears to stop working.  I checked my
snort.conf file and $HOMENET is set to any the $EXTERNALNET is set to any
also.  If I reconnect the system back to the external subnet it works fine
again.

When I connect to the internal network I reboot the system and checked make
sure that I have a connection and can see traffic using tcpdump.  When I run
nmap against the snort server or any other computer connected to the hub I do
not get any alerts (default rules).  I feel like there is just one little
thing I forgot and I can't put my finger on it.  Am I testing this correctly?
Any ideas?
snort-2.0.5

Jim