Snort mailing list archives

Attack Detection: Then what

From: "Owais Bin Zuber" <owais_bin_zuber () hotmail com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 19:48:06 +0500

Hi,

I am trying to implement snort at my network. I have read many documents
regarding snort installation and configuration. All the documents tell
you that snort will detect the attack, will log it and will send an
alert to whatever is configured. The question remains that does snort
block the attack itself or leaves this to the administrator. I have read
about guardian but discussion on the mailing list revealed that using
guardian is not a good idea as it can be used as DoS tool also. My
question is that is it possible for snort to send TCP RST packet as a
response.

Thanks