Snort mailing list archives

Re: Is IPTables blocking Snort detection?

From: Dirk Geschke <Dirk_Geschke () genua de>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 17:22:09 +0100

Hi Stephen,

If I've got everything firewalled on my Linux-Snort box using IPTables
except for SSH, will that limit what Snort (and the promiscuous mode
NIC) is able to see & detect? Just curious... Thanks!

snort will detect traffic before iptables will block them.

But however nearly every rule contains the keyword "established"
so you won't see any attacks triggered by these rules.

Best regards

Dirk