Snort mailing list archives

Device didn't translate

From: "Di Fresco Marco" <superdif () ciaoweb it>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 15:20:42 -0800

Hi all,
I am a newbie and I just subsciribed to the list.

I don't know if this kind of problem has already been discussed; I
tried to look in both the archive and the documentation, but I didn't
found anything.

I am running snort 2.1.0 on WinXP Pro with all the patches installed;
I am using WinPcap 3.0. I have a cable connection.

In my snort.conf I configured the following:
var HOME_NET (\Device\NPF_{18..3C})
As suggested in FAQ #3.7 (even if in theory with the cable connection
the IP address should be static, in practice it changes every 4 days
or so). I have abbreviated the \Device... part for both personal
security and your readability, but in the snort.conf the full value
is the correspondent for what I get for my ethernet card using "snort
- -W".

For do some test, I tried to execute the following command:
D:\Snort\Bin\snort.exe -dev -l "D:\Snort\log" -h [MYIP]/32 -c
"D:\Snort\etc\snort.conf"
As sugested at the beginning of
http://www.snort.org/docs/snort_manual/node6.html; the above command
has some changes compared to the one in the page because I have
adapted to my situation; for security reason in the above command I
changed my real IP address with [MYIP].

The problem is that I get the following error message:
"ERROR: ERROR D:\Snort\rules/bad-traffic.rules(12): Rule IP addr
((\Device\NPF_{18..3C})) didn't translate"
As I said before, I have abbreviated the \Device... part for both
personal security and your readability.

I get the same error message for other kind of command (I can't
report them because I didn't took notes).

How I can solve the problem? I hope I gave enough informations; if
some info is missing, please ask.

Thank in advance.

Di Fresco Marco
http://home.comcast.net/~superdif/