Snort mailing list archives

Snort, Mudpit, Unified logs and me...

From: "Russell Packer" <russell.packer () arnoldinteractive com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 16:07:37 -0000

Hi all,

I'm trying to set up what I think is "a normal" system pair:

System 1: The Snort machine (Devil)
System 2: The log processing / alerting machine (Slackware 9.x)

Having done lots and lots of reading, it seems that the unified (binary) output is "best" (as non-unified seems to lead
to problems).

[As a side note, I did look at FLoP but patching snort is not an option due to the fact that I'm using a pre-built
live-CD for system 1]

Now, it seems that I have two options on system 2 - either Barnyard or Mudpit. Seeing as I can't get Barnyard to
configure (tried MySQL 3.23, 4.017, my_connect, mysql_real_connect and all those other "fixes" to no avail), I'm forced
to use Mudpit.

As I'm sure anyone else using mudpit is aware, there isn't a whole lot of documentation ;)

I'm currently getting my head round the Mudpit configuration, more specifically the Spool section. The section starts
like this:

# Spool configurarion. One or more spools should be configured.
# Spool definition contains the absolute path to a spool directory
# (that is, the directory containing Snort's log/alert file pair)
# and parameters for the spool processor.

Seems fair enough. In the Snort confiuration file, there is this information:

# Two arguments are supported.
#    filename - base filename to write to (current time_t is appended)
#    limit    - maximum size of spool file in MB (default: 128)
#
# output alert_unified: filename snort.alert, limit 128
# output log_unified: filename snort.log, limit 128

Hm. This raises 2 questions:

1.) How does one specifiy that these two files should actually be sent on a remote machine? In the MySQL example, it is
obvious that you can specify a host, but mudput requires the files :/

2.) As these log files need to reside on a remote system, how would the limit work?

I may, of course, also be going along the wrong track, so any pointers much appreciated!