Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort 2.1.0 - Shutting up http_inspect on non web servers

From: "Schmehl, Paul L" <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 14:25:10 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: snort-users-admin () lists sourceforge net
[mailto:snort-users-admin () lists sourceforge net] On Behalf Of
James Nonya
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 1:19 PM
To: snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Snort 2.1.0 - Shutting up
http_inspect on non web servers

Paul,

Have you tried setting it to monitor port 0 or
something like that?  Maybe telling http_instpect to
monitor a little used port would work..think I'll try
that now.

I haven't, but ISTM that would defeat the purpose of the preprocessor,
wouldn't it?

I just tried enabling *only* the global preprocessor.  That resulted in
the following alerts:
NON-RFC HTTP DELIMITER
APACHE WHITESPACE (TAB)
NON-RFCF DEFINED CHAR
OVERSIZE CHUNK ENCODING

Even that is too much for me.  All I want the preprocessor to do is
normalize http traffic before it's compared to the normal web rules.

So then I tried this:

preprocessor http_inspect: global \
    iis_unicode_map unicode.map 1252

preprocessor http_inspect_server: server default \
    ports { 80 8080 } \
    no_alerts

And it seems to be working.  At least I'm not getting alerts from the
preprocessor itself, not even non-rfc defined char alerts.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member