Snort mailing list archives

Re: Upgrade to 2.1.0 help needed

From: "Dave C" <nhdave () skooter net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:23:52 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "shadow man" <sp33di3 () hotmail com>
To: <snort-users () lists sourceforge net>
Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2004 3:27 PM
Subject: [Snort-users] Upgrade to 2.1.0 help needed

Trying to upgrade a working snort 2.0.0 on RH9 to 2.1.0 isn't going so
well.

downloaded 2.1.0
renamed /etc/snort /etc/old-snort
recreated /etc/snort

whereis mysql
mysql: /usr/local/mysql

./configure --with-mysql=/usr/local/mysql
make
make install

fixed up the snort.conf using the details from my old snort.conf.
Including
the database connection string.

restart and snort isn't running so I tried this

snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf

and get this
<snipped>
database: compiled support for ( )
database: configured to use mysql
database: 'mysql' support is not compiled into this build of snort

ERROR: If this build of snort was obtained as a binary distribution (e.g.,
rpm,
or Windows), then check for alternate builds that contains the necessary
'mysql' support.

If this build of snort was compiled by you, then re-run the
the ./configure script using the '--with-mysql' switch.
For non-standard installations of a database, the '--with-mysql=DIR'
syntax may need to be used to specify the base directory of the DB
install.

See the database documentation for cursory details (doc/README.database).
and the URL to the most recent database plugin documentation.
Fatal Error, Quitting..

I've tried this a few times with no luck.  Suggestions please?

It's not a matter of where the mysql binary is but where the mysql
source files are.