Snort mailing list archives

RE: Disable alerts from certain machines - Not working for me?

From: Snortty <cwcwcwg () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 10:41:45 -0800 (PST)

Andreas and All,

Thank you all for the valuable information you all
provided – all in my toolbox now. The doc here by the
link is also very useful for good understanding how
snort generate alerts!

I chose to use bpf to ignore all packets from this
source in this case, so I wrote up a bpf file, but
snort just won’t run after many tries, and with errors
below:

snort# /usr/local/bin/snort -dv -F /snort/bpf.snort –o
Running in packet dump mode
Log directory = /var/log/snort

Initializing Network Interface dmfe0
ERROR: OpenPcap() FSM compilation failed:
        PCAP command: %s
Fatal Error, Quitting..

rtppiggy1:/snort# cat bpf.snort
!(src host 10.1.1.1)
!(src host 10.1.1.2)

Without –F /snort/bpf.snort –o (-o is not making
difference), snort runs well.

I checked tcpdump manpage, snort README, and previous
snort-users posts, above seems to be only way I saw
without clear indication it worked.

Can anyone share working bpf information here please.
I’m running snort 2.0.6 on Solaris 8.

By the way, I still cannot upgrade to snort 2.1.1
probably due to Solaris 8 without a reason.
(./configure, make, make install all seem to be fine.)

Also, I tried to do a suppress gen_id thing, I can not
find threshold.conf under snort 2.0.6 to put this line
in – strange?

Cannot say enough how great this snort-user world is,
never a better place like this in the internet
!
Thanks again
SW.