Snort mailing list archives

SynFlood / Total Connection Count with Snort

From: "Andy Simpson" <Andy.Simpson () datgroup com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 11:44:35 -0000

Hi,

Two Quick questions:

1) Does anyone know if Syn Flood detection (whether native or through
the use of a preprocessor) is working in Snort 2.1.0? If there is a
preprocessor or rule to define this would someone be able to let me know
what this is? The threshold I would say for triggering a syn-flood alert
would be 200 syn-packets from a source within 1 minute.

2) Is there any way of detecting whether any source ip addresses have
above a certain number of established connections to a certain
destination ip? For example, I would like to generate an alert if a
source ip has 50 active connections to 123.123.123.123 on tcp port 80.

If anyone has a solution to these it would be great.

Kind Regards

Andy Simpson

Andy Simpson

Senior Consultant