Snort mailing list archives

Re: Couple of quick questions

From: Jason Haar <Jason.Haar () trimble co nz>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 11:40:21 +1200

On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 09:40:07PM +0000, Bennett Todd wrote:
I've deployed snort listening on bonded eth interfaces successully.
The one quirk, which may have been fixed since, was that promisc
wasn't being passed down from bond0 to the bonded ethN interfaces
when snort tried to set promisc; the simple fix was to explicitly
ifconfig bond0 promisc before ifenslaving the ethN interfaces;
promisc _is_ propogated down to the ethN interfaces at ifenslave
time.

That's weird. I've got one Snort box here using bond0 to aggregate two
i82557/i82558 chipset eepro100 Ethernet cards under Linux, ifconfig doesn't
show "PROMISC" anywhere on anything, and yet it's certainly running promisc
as I'm seeing alerts from non-Snort IP addresses....

[I just love that "bond" feature :-). No cracks about "bond"age please! ;-)]

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417