Snort mailing list archives

Truncated UDP Header

From: "Koren, Alexander" <a.koren () broadnet-mediascape de>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 17:49:01 +0100

Hi there,

sometimes I get the following warning from Snort:

[**] (snort_decoder) WARNING: Truncated UDP Header! [**]
03/21-13:13:42.088423 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:0 -> xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:0
UDP TTL:255 TOS:0x0 ID:31424 IpLen:20 DgmLen:20

That means that the UDP Header is less than 8 bytes, okay? But I wonder why
the source and destination port is 0. AFAIK port 0 is reserved for special
use as stated in RFC 1700. When you specify the source port of 0 when you
connect to a host, the OS automatically reassigns the port number to high
numbered ephemeral port.

Could some please explain me, what is exactly going on here (or post some
links)?

Thanks in advance,
Alex.