Snort mailing list archives

Promiscuous Mode

From: "pfeito" <pfeito () netcabo pt>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 02:08:50 -0000

Hi,

I've just installed snort on fedora core 1 with MySQL and ACID. Everything
is looking cool. I've set the IDS box outside the firewall using an HUB.

Something is bothering me though... if I do "ifconfig -a" my interface,
(which as no IP or mask set) does not show the keyword PREMISC, but doing
tail /var/log/messages, I can see a message like "... kernel: eth0: Setting
promiscuous mode.". A quick look to ACID's data tells me that the interface
is in fact in promiscuous mode, but shouldn't this be figured in "ifconfig
-a" ?

Also, how can I set manually an interface to promiscuous mode?

Thanks,
-pfeito