Snort mailing list archives

Re: Tuning Signatures

From: "AJ Butcher, Information Systems and Computing" <Alex.Butcher () bristol ac uk>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 08:58:38 +0000

--On 13 March 2004 20:43 -0500 Jim Terry <jtixthus () excite com> wrote:

This is my first post to the list!  I have Snort up and running and need
help in understanding what the signature explanation is trying to tell me
and what the rule categories mean.

My background is more networking rather than programming or TCP/IP.  It
seems to me the rule explanations state plenty of coding information that
does not mean too much to me.  For instance NOOP.  I take it NOOP is bad
but it seems to pretty common.

NOOP isn't bad per se. In fact, NOOP is about as neutral as it gets, as NOOP is the assembly mnemonic for "no operation" on many common microprocessors, 80x86 inclusive.

What those signatures are looking for (mostly in shellcode.rules) is shellcode sequences, i.e. microprocessor- and OS-specific machine code that is sent to exploit a vulnerability (typically a buffer overflow, but could be other classes too) and give the attacker some kind of ability to execute commands on the target machine. Shellcode is typically padded with NOOPs in order that it works regardless of the exact state of the target process/machine.

What is the best document/book/man page to help in this matter?  The
Snort Users Manual did not do it for me.

<http://www.insecure.org/stf/smashstack.txt>, probably. If you have minimal programming experience (especially in machine code or assembly) you'll probably need to read it several times in order to get any kind of sense out of it. ;-)

Thank you!
Jim Terry

Best Regards,
Alex.