Snort mailing list archives

running snort in promiscuous mode

From: Jan Hormann <hormann () gutenberg-rz de>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 16:28:27 +0100

Hello,

I have a little problem running snort in promiscuous mode. If I start snort
with the option "-vde" an path for config file and logpath, snort switch the
ethernet device in promiscuous mode but leave this mode a few seconds later,
so that snort don't run in promiscuous mode.
If I start aditionally snort with "-v" (as second snort prozess) it runs fine
and both snort prozesses use promiscuous mode.

My configuration is snort version 2.0.1 on SuSE 9 on a intelbased machine.
Ethernet interface is a 3com card.
I have this problem on two machines (diferent ethernet devices).

Is this problem depending on the version of snort? Does anybody know the
problem? Is there anybody how have a solution for this problem?

On solution I found on the internet was to change the source code, I hope this
isn't the only solution.

Thanks

Jan