Snort mailing list archives

Windows Set-up

From: Chris Manteuffel <cmanteuf () virginia edu>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 13:17:01 -0500

Hello,
I have a problem with the Windows version of SNORT. I downloaded the binaries and installed them, then installed WinPcap (http://winpcap.polito.it/). All of this is on a Windows 2K3 server machine running IIS and SQL Server.

At first I downloaded WinPcap 3.1 Beta, then WinPcap 3.0, and then WinPcap 2.3 and installed them (uninstalling each one after SNORT failed to start up, but not rebooting, as I need to limit reboots on the server as much as possible). I don't remember what the error message on the first one was, but with WinPcap 3.0 and WinPcap 2.3 it was that SNORT couldn't find WanPacket.dll (the first one was something different). Googling hasn't turned up any reference to a WanPacket.dll, which the latest versions of WinPcap does not provide. Do I need another library somewhere? Or is WanPacket.dll an old name for a DLL whose name changed under 2k3?

Thanks,

Chris Manteuffel

--
"There are three principal ways to lose money: wine, women, and engineers.
While the first two are more pleasant, the third is by far the more certain."