Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort on Linux with no IP

From: "Gabriel L. Somlo" <somlo () acns colostate edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 11:59:30 -0700

I think the Linux kernel names all ethernet interfaces 'ethX' with X
starting at 0 and incrementing as more cards are detected.

You can then use the 'nameif' command to talk the kernel into renaming
them to whatever ASCII string you want...

Redhat probably doesn't do anything beyond going with whatever the
kernel names the cards by default...

Just my $0.02 :)

Gabriel