Snort mailing list archives

Re: ACID

From: "Scott Elgram" <SElgram () verifpoint com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 12:02:54 -0800

Hello,
    I have installed Snort just like you have and received a similar result
once I got it running.  The reason for this was because I had not set any
rules for snort and thus it did not do anything.  In order to see if it was
actually running and to play around with it I simply added two rules that
would cause an alert for any type of traffic.

Alert ip any any -> any any (msg: "IP Packet Detected")
Alert icmp any any -> any any (msg: "Ping!")

The first rule will get triggered by any packet snort sees.  If there is
traffic on your network it should show ip in ACID.  The Second will show up
when you ping the interface that snort is monitoring.  I used this because I
was testing on a closed network that had no traffic.

**IMPORTANT:  You MUST remember to delete these two rules once you have
finished playing and have implemented snort on your network.  Otherwise it
will fill you hard drive with meaningless alerts.

-Scott Elgram