Snort mailing list archives

Spp_portscan2

From: "Bell, Josh" <josh.bell () guidancesoftware com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 15:52:07 -0800

I am seeing frequent occurences of the alert below:

[**] [117:1:1] (spp_portscan2) Portscan detected from <inside ip>: 6
targets 6 ports in 28 seconds [**]
01/07-15:45:30.576389 <inside ip>:2403 -> <public ip>:80
TCP TTL:127 TOS:0x0 ID:57864 IpLen:20 DgmLen:48 DF
******S* Seq: 0x737F57F6  Ack: 0x0  Win: 0xFAF0  TcpLen: 28
TCP Options (4) => MSS: 1460 NOP NOP SackOK

I've observed that this tends to happen when a user launches Internet
Explorer and has their homepage set to the default Microsoft puts in
there.  Does this just have something to do with the redirection they
do?  Or the version check?  Does anybody know for sure?

BTW I'm running Snort 2.0.5 (wow...gotta upgrade) on SuSE 9.

Josh Bell
Manager of I.T.

Note:  The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and thus protected from disclosure.
 If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this
message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this
communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately
by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.  Thank you.