Snort mailing list archives

Re: session output

From: Costas Magos <kmag () lab epmhs gr>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 19:01:17 +0200

Well, actually I do know what I told snort to show me: log printable keystrokes for all sessions. I have added the following rule

log ip any any <> any any (session: printable;)

to snort.conf for this reason. This is a small experimental non-production network with a low volume of collected data. Snort is used to capture, log and alert on traffic coming in and going out of that network.

I need help on how to interpet the IP address used in the directories created by snort. Is it the client (did it initiate the session) or the server (did it accept the connection) in the logged sessions?

~kmag

P.S. I' m sorry for messing up the original posting.

J. wrote:

I'm really not sure I understand your question, but I'm gonna try =)

Without knowing how you are using Snort it's hard to be able to tell you
what you told snort to show you, especially if you don't know =)

These directories are alert logs and contain summary data for alerts.

Alerts are generated by snort based on rules.  You clearly have defined
rules and they are occuring.

Perhaps they are not important alerts, but alerts nonetheless...

Unless you are logging rather than alerting...but why would anyone do this
in ascii??  Scary...

HTH.

J.