Snort mailing list archives

Re: SRI patent on "Hierarchical event monitoring and analysis"

From: Rich Adamson <radamson () routers com>
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 06:19:28 -0600

"A computer-automated method of hierarchical event
monitoring and analysis within an enterprise network
including deploying network monitors in the enterprise
network, detecting, by the network monitors,
suspicious network activity based on analysis of
network traffic data selected from the following
categories: {network packet data transfer commands,
network packet data transfer errors, network packet
data volume, network connection requests, network
connection denials, error codes included in a network
packet},

I'd be the first to admit that I'm not a trained legal person,
however my impression suggests the patent is highly structured
toward monitoring generic statisical values (eg, errors, volumes,
requests, denials, error codes) and drawing inferences from those
values by comparison to some sort of baseline quantity. Although
the text references IDS's, the patent is not extended to IDSs nor
does it discuss or address any analysis or correlations one might
find interesting relative to multiple packet "content" analyzers.