Snort mailing list archives

Unknown datagram decoding problem

From: "Secureplay" <secureplay () sbcglobal net>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 01:24:27 -0600

Can someone explain to me the "Unknown datagram decoding problem" event? Is
the problem with the decoding or with the fact that the datagram is
"unknown"?

Here's what I'm seeing: I logged about six of these. Both source and
destination addresses are valid addresses and the machines are up.

IP
--

source addr |   dest addr  | Ver | Hdr Len |TOS | length |
X.x.x.x         |  y.y.y.y         |  4  |    5    | 0  | 29     |

| ID    |  flags | offset | TTL | chksum
| 26557 |    0   |   0    | 127 | 45539

ICMP
----
type                                    | code                   | checksum
(3) Destination Unreachable   | (3) Port Unreachable   | 47100

Payload
-------

length = 5

000 : 00 00 00 00 45                                    ....E

Protocol: IP, org source ip: 0.0.0.0,  org source port: 0, org.destination
ip: 0, org.destination

The strange thing is, even though it says that it's a problem with decoding
this packet, if I click on the snort description for the event (I'm using
ACID), it shows me description for sid 108, "BACKDOOR QAZ Worm Client Login
access".