Snort mailing list archives

Re: New rules keyword error

From: Chris Green <cmg () sourcefire com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 15:13:21 -0400

"Marc Quibell" <mquibell () fbfs com> writes:

It is merely an aide to monitor the network. It can be fixed quite easily.

Why should I not test and analyze Snort rules updates? If I tested every update
ISS sends me, I'd never get them pushed out into the field. I guess maybe that's
why THEY test them first before releasing them. Wow, what a concept. You see,
ISS has customer responsibilities. Snort does not. I rely upon ISS to be safe
and true. I do not rely upon Snort to be the same, but I do know that if there
is a problem, it's easily manageable, and it is not, again, a  show-stopper.
This is why I automated rule updates.

Hate to belittle a point:

If you're a Sourcefire customer going the Sourcefire route to update
rules, you get that same level of responsibility

[ DIE THREAD DIE! ]
--
Chris Green <cmg () sourcefire com>
I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it.