Snort mailing list archives

VIA and suggestions...

From: "Eric Knight" <eric () swordsoft com>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 01:13:29 -0600

Adam,

Thanks for the comments and suggestion.  MySQL support is probably a very
do-able thing, I'll have to check in on it.  Last I coded for MySQL, I used
their ANSI C interface on a Linux box.  Compatibility with Java SDK 1.1 + MS
Windows?  Hmm -- well, its a question I'll look into.  I know that I need to
be able to support a number of different data systems, I started with the
most common denominator.

I'm adding this to my "suggestions list" and I'm taking everything on it
very seriously.  I just got done placing VIA 1.0.2 on the web site and
although I'm rolling my eyes a bit about changing the code-base, I'm also
responding to very good ideas.  The addition of the "Blacklist" feature was
a really good one, and I'm going to try to expand on it to the measure that
was suggested to me.

To the list:  I've got to give kudos to the snort-users list, overall the
best feedback for VIA has come from people mentioning they heard about VIA
from here.  I'll keep implementing people's suggestions for awhile, I'm not
in any hurry to take the code final and I'm really curious what other ways
people would like to see their IDS logs displayed, or how they'd like the
icons manipulated...  I'm toying around with animating the lines and
replaying events in sequence... Would it be useful?  Its an easy
implementation, actually.

Thank you for your comments,

Eric

Eric,

I checked out VIA, and I haven't run into any bugs yet.  I was only able =
to load the sample logs though - all my data is sent off to mysql.  I =
like how it presents the data and the interface used, but if it can't =
pull data from a database it won't be of much use to me.  Keep up the =
good work.

Adam Hogan