Snort mailing list archives

Re: Not Picking up Much WHY "I am pulling out my hair"

From: Patrick Harper <lists () internetsecurityguru com>
Date: 12 Oct 2003 18:41:00 -0700

do you have any filters set up, if Snort is behind your firewall it will
only see what makes it thorough

On Sun, 2003-10-12 at 17:23, Elijah Savage wrote:
I have setup snort2.0 and Barnyard0.1.0 on my adsl link on my firewall
it is logging to a mysql database on a different machine which is
running ACID but the only thing I seem to be picking up is icmp stuff. I
have turned on all the rules, as a drastic measure from the inside I
went and visited some pr0n sites and it was not picked up. I am
monitoring the outside interface on the firewall fxp0. I am at a lost. I
have essentially left everything at the default except for the home net
and uncommenting all the rules trying to make sure everything is
working. I know my config files are large and can be cut down and tuned
but I just want to get it working first. In Acid I got 100% ICMP traffic
and 0% TCP 0%UDP, if anyone can help me understand what I might be doing
wrong it would be greatly appreciated. This is how I start snort and
Barnyard.