Snort mailing list archives

RE: Win32 Error: service is not responding to the control function

From: "snortmail" <snortmail () eloqua com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 14:57:23 -0500

Hey - I'm having the same problem on my win2k box....snort runs fine when not used as a service.  Running Snort 2.1 - I
get errors:

FROM Command Prompt: net start snort

The service is not responding to the control function.
More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2186.

FROM Services MMC:

Could not start the Snort service on Local Computer.
Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

But firing up snort from the command prompt using snort.exe directly works like a charm...

I've checked permissions on the snort.exe and all other files involved and everythings ok.  Any help would be
appreciate as it's much more convenient to be running this as a service.  Thx,

- Mike