Snort mailing list archives

Re: heavily switched networks

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 10:21:30 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003, Stewart Larsen wrote:

right, but where would you tap.

Let's assume that I have the gateway and firewall set up going into a 16
port switch. We'll call this switch switch:0. Each port on switch:0 goes
to another 16 port switch.  We'll call these switch:1 through switch:16.

I now have a nicely divided network with 16 segments of 16 computers
each. That allows me to have 256 computers on my network.

How do I effectively monitor traffic within each segment without a
switch that supports SPAN?  Do I need to sniff on 256 different wires?
or am I missing some fundamental insight here?

Perhaps....

Do you care about network <-> network traffic?  If not, then just sniff
your uplink.  Sniff the pipe from the FW to switch:0 and you catch all the
traffic coming into your network, no matter how many segments you have.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams