Snort mailing list archives

Re: ICMP Time-To-Live Exceeded in Transit

From: Erwin Van de Velde <erwin.vandevelde () ua ac be>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 13:02:56 +0100

Hi,

By popular demand, here is some more information :-)
I discovered something by taking a closer look:

The alerts are on inbound packets, with as payload
org. source ip: 192.168.0.2
org source port: 2048 (ALWAYS!!!???) <<===
org dest ip: differs, external ip's
org dest port: differs, between 40000 and 60000

I didn't read all the alerts as there are to many, but I tested +/- 20 of them
and these were the results...
I do not think it's a virus, as I'm running a virus scanner (Norton AV 2003)
there, which is fully updated. I'm especially concerned about the fixed
source port now...
Does anybody know about this?

Thanks in advance,
Erwin Van de Velde