Snort mailing list archives

Tagged packets in logs

From: Russell Fulton <r.fulton () auckland ac nz>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 23:22:27 +1300

Hi,
        I am getting a trickle of "tagged" packets turning up in ACID.  All
these packets have 80 as source port and most have no data, just
push+ack set.  A few have data and these alway start with a USER
<username><CRLF>PASS <password> .

I am using 2.0.4 with latest stable ruleset.  So far as I can tell there
are only two rules that currently use the tag option and neither target
port 80.

Any idea what is going on?

BTW I'm using unified logging and mudpit to log to a mysql database.

--
Russell Fulton                                    /~\  The ASCII
Network Security Officer                          \ /  Ribbon Campaign