Snort mailing list archives

SNORT 2.0.0 :: ODBC :: FREETDS :: SQL SERVER

From: "Rodrigo Lima de Oliveira" <rlimadeoliveira () hotmail com>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 15:48:38 -0300

Dear Snort Users,

When I start SNORT using the command line "snort -b -o -i eth0 -c /home/pacotes/snort.network.conf" i am receiving the
following message :

"
database: Problem obtaining SENSOR ID (sid) from snort->sensor
ERROR:
 When this plugin starts, a SELECT query is run to find the sensor id for the
 currently running sensor. If the sensor id is not found, the plugin will run
 an INSERT query to insert the proper data and generate a new sensor id. Then a
 SELECT query is run to get the newly allocated sensor id. If that fails then
 this error message is generated.

 Some possible causes for this error are:
  * the user does not have proper INSERT or SELECT privileges
  * the sensor table does not exist

 If you are _absolutely_ certain that you have the proper privileges set and
 that your database structure is built properly please let me know if you
 continue to get this error. You can contact me at (roman () danyliw com).

Fatal Error, Quitting..
"

My Environment :

- Snort-2.0.0 ( UnixODBC / FreeTDS )
- Linux Red Hat 9.0
- SQL Server 2000 ( Windows 2000 Server )

The user have all database permissions. With "SQL Profiler" I checked that the INSERT command is not executing in SQL
Server, just the two SELECT. With ISQL, using the same user of snort, I can execute the SELECT and INSERT normally.

Please, I need some help to solve this problem.

Thx,

Rodrigo Lima de Oliveira

Ps.: Sorry my bad english, my real language is portuguese.