Snort mailing list archives

exact phrase match

From: Dan <sophie_bo () earthlink net>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 14:39:50 -0600 (GMT-06:00)

OK...let's try this again. When I tell snort to look for "nc.exe" in the payload, I only want it to return alarms with
an exact match of "nc.exe". However, it triggers alarms even when nc.exe is part of another word, such as:

"sync.exe"
"runc.exe"

I dont care if users are running sync.exe or runc.exe on the network. I am trying to catch people using netcat, thus
the "nc.exe" search. How do I tell snort to only trigger an alarm on an exact phrase match? Because if I cannot do
that, I am forced to look through thousands of alarm payloads that are false positives. Clearly a huge waste of time.

Thanks,

Dan