Snort mailing list archives

Re: Remote NIDS

From: Dirk Geschke <Dirk_Geschke () genua de>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 09:29:09 +0100

Hi Chris,

I am looking for a method to have remote NIDS log alerts to a central
SNORT/Acid box running MySQL and Redhat 9.0.
Anyone have a link for docs on this or recommendations?

there are several solutions available:

1. The easiest is the database output plugin from snort. Look
   at the snort.conf how to activate it.

2. Barnyard (http://www.snort.org/dl/barnyard/), this program
   uses the unified output plugin and can forward the alerts
   direct to the TCP/IP interface of a central database.

3. Mudpit (http://www.fidelissec.com/mudpit.html), this is similar
   to barnyard and uses also the unified output plugin of snort.

4. FLoP (http://www.geschke-online.de/FLoP). This project uses
   a unix domain socket to get the alerts from snort, no local
   files are used. These alerts are forward to a central server
   where they are buffered and then feeded via a unix socket
   into the database. This should be the fastest solution since
   there is less network traffic between the sensor and the central
   server.

I would recommend point FLoP (I am the author of it... ;-))

Best regards

Dirk
--
| Dr. Dirk Geschke            | E-mail: geschke () genua de      |
| Gesellschaft fuer Netzwerk  | Tel.  : +49-(0)-89-991950-131 |