Snort mailing list archives

libmysqlclient: undefined reference to `uncompress'

From: "Michael casale" <mcasale () mcmwatch com>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 11:17:32 -0400

To all,

When compiling snort with Mysql (following the "Snort, Apache, PHP, MySQL, Acid on Redhat 9.0 Installation Guide"), I
always get the following error:

/usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient.a(my_compress.o): In function `my_compress_alloc':
my_compress.o(.text+0xb4): undefined reference to `compress'
/usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient.a(my_compress.o): In function `my_uncompress':
my_compress.o(.text+0x12a): undefined reference to `uncompress'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [snort] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/download/snort-2.0.2/src'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/download/snort-2.0.2/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/download/snort-2.0.2'
make: *** [all] Error 2
dbmc1:/download/snort-2.0.2#
dbmc1:/download/snort-2.0.2#

I either get this error when running configure (./configure --with-mysql=/usr/local/mysql ) , or, if I follow another
suggestion I've found and include the --with-zlib option in ./configure, it configs, but the make fails with the error
above.

I spent last night searching the internet, and it seems that a few dozen people have posted the same problem in various
newsgroups, but none of the solutions works. The sytem is debian, I've got zlib installed, everything else seems to
work, mysql is running fine, I just can't find a way around this error.

I've seen suggestions about adding an -lz to the "link" or "compile" line, but they didn't say where.

If anyone knows, could you please email me back with instructions on how to get around this?

Thanks lots and lots and lots more!

Michael Casale
System's Administrator
MCM Inc.