Snort mailing list archives

Re: flags SYN question...

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 11:40:22 -0500

At 12:58 PM 12/4/2003, gfyspf () yahoo com wrote:
Could someone please tell me what the 12 stands for in the following line:

flags:S,12 and are there other numbers if so what are they used for? I have been searching all the documentation and can't find much info on it.

Those are the old "reserved 1" and "reserved 2" bits that are the next two bits up from the 6 flag bits in the tcp header.

ECN uses them nowdays.

Some OS fingerprinters (ie: nmap) set these bits on some of their test packets to differentiate OS behaviors.