Snort mailing list archives

Re: Any good tool for generating nice reports off a years worth of snort syslog data?

From: Chris Keladis <Chris.Keladis () cmc optus net au>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 17:13:52 +1100

At 05:04 PM 27/11/2003 +1300, Jason Haar wrote:

Hi Jason,

This has come up before, but I'm specifically interested in running over
Gbytes of syslog files. I've tried a couple of perl-based scripts, but
I've had to kill them when they hit 800M RAM and were still growing...

If your perl-inclined see if you can find the main loop construct that reads each line of the log.

I'd take a guess that they are using a 'for ()' looping construct which reads in the entire file and is very wasteful of precious system resources, especially with huge files.

See if you can switch it to a 'while ()' loop instead, which will read the file line-by-line and be a little more lenient with system resources.

The best solution however is to have log 'slices' that makes the work more palatable.

Regards,

Chris.