Snort mailing list archives

XEXCH50 evasion rule parse problems?

From: "Erik Norman" <erik.norman () datagram se>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 11:27:36 +0100

Hi all,

Starting from this morning, I'm getting alarms regarding XEXCH50 evasion
attempt (sid 2253, 2254). In my opinion, the conditions for that rule is not
met, but still generates an alarm!

More detailed information below.

Now what? Is this a known issue? As I'm not participating in snort-users
list, please cc me in case of a reply.

Btw, snort rules! Thank you guys.

/Erik

The rule
--------
The rule says that a '-' should be within 1 distance away from the XEXCH50
keyword. Right?

...msg:"SMTP XEXCH50 overflow attempt"; flow:to_server,established;
content:"XEXCH50"; nocase; content:"-"; distance:1;...

Packet extract
-snip- 50  x () xxxxx xx>..RCP
-snip- 76  T TO:<xxx.xxxxxx
-snip- 0A  xxx () xxxxxx xx>..