Snort mailing list archives

Re: conflict with alert types

From: Martin Olsson <elof () sentor se>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 18:11:52 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, Jordi Vidal wrote:
      I set up a rule to alert via SMB but it conflicts with standard
alert file.
      In my local.rules file I wrote:
---
ruletype smbalert
{
        type alert
        output alert_smb: /etc/snort/smbalerthosts
}
smbalert tcp $HOME_NET any <> any any
(msg:"TESTING";flow:to_server,established;flags: PA;content:"thisisatest";nocase;)
---
Then, if I start snort, this rule works fine but no other alerts are
dumped to /var/log/snort/alert, even the file are not created at startup.

First, I would put all my ruletype declarations directly in snort.conf,
not in the *.rules files.

Secondly, in snort.conf, have you specified any "default" output system?
Like this:

snort.conf:
output alert_fast: snort.alert
ruletype smbalert
{
        type alert
        output alert_smb: /etc/snort/smbalerthosts
}

/Martin