Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort-mysql, logging on TWO sql servers

From: Dirk Geschke <Dirk () geschke-online de>
Date: 29 Nov 2003 21:21:22 +0100

On Sat, 2003-11-29 at 18:48, Michel Christophe wrote:
Hello

      I run snort on two separated networks linked over VPN. Snort logging to
both sql servers taken separately work fine, so does the VPN.

      For security reasons, I would like to mirror the logging of one snort
sensor to both sql servers..

[...]

Before I run in big headaches, I would like to ask this list first if
such a dual logging is possible ??

Yes, it is.

Then, if this is possible (which I hope), could you enlighten me how
should I fiddle with snort's config file:

Should I add a second snort-database logging config line such as
follows:

output database: log, mysql, user=XXXXX password=YYYYY dbname=snort
host=MACHINE-B encoding=hex detail=full

This is the right configuration. But note: Each output plugin
has to be finished before snort can start to analyze the next
network packet. Especially inserting data in a remote database
is a time consuming procedure. This one of the many reasons I
started to code FLoP: http://www.geschke-online.de/FLoP/ ;-)
(Sorry, but a little bit advertising should not matter...)

Best regards

Dirk