Snort mailing list archives

Re: Question about negated and non-negated variable s in rules

From: corinth <corinth () online no>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 09:29:54 +0100

Topi Ylinen wrote:

You'll probably have received a number of replies already, but here's one
more.

1) From the Snort faq:
"Note that the negation operator does not work inside a list so the
following
will NOT work:

    var EXTERNAL_NET [!192.168.40.0/24,!10.14.0.0/16]

but this will work:

    var EXTERNAL_NET ![192.168.40.0/24,10.14.0.0/16]"

2) Also note that the list operator (",") is a disjunction ("OR"), not a
conjunction ("AND").
I.e., if you say "!AAA.BBB.CCC.DDD/32,!EEE.FFF.GGG.HHH/32", an IP address
can only fail this condition if AAA.BBB.CCC.DDD == EEE.FFF.GGG.HHH (you
are effectively saying, "if this IP is not from A *OR* is not from B")

--
T.

Thanks, I tried to RTFM but I couldn't find anything about combining two
variables though, which is the main problem. Since I have a non-negated
variable and one negated variable how can I combine these two ?

Your reply is the first, btw =)

jens:H