Snort mailing list archives

Re: Logging portscan on database

From: "Josh Berry" <josh.berry () netschematics com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 11:10:48 -0600 (CST)

I believe that the portscan preprocessor only registers with the alert
output.  Try changing the output database to:

output database: alert, mysql, etc...

On Monday 24 November 2003 14:02, Leonardo Spalenza wrote:
Yes, it is possible. You must to follow a list of task to get it
working:

Install mysql
Create one user to snort access the database
Setting up the database in mysql (/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql -u root -p
<
./contrib/create_mysql snort)
Compile snort with support to my-sql (--with-mysql="sql-path")
Modify your snort.conf (output database: log, mysql, user=snort_user
password=snort_user_pass, dbname=snort, host=IP_mysql)

If you use redhat the document bellow is a excelent source of
information.
If you don't you still can get a lot of tips in there.

http://www.snort.org/docs/snort_acid_rh9.pdf

In documentation section of www.snort.org you can find a lot more
information.

As far as I have tested, this works for all alerts, except for the
portscans,
and that was what the question was about ...
I tried this with MySQL and PostgreSQL (which I use now), but both don't
get
the portscan notifications...

Greetz,
Erwin