Snort mailing list archives

installing snort - Red Hat 9 - basic questions

From: Patrick Nicholls <patrick2 () datacubenetworks com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 22:01:41 -0500

HI Folks:

Excuse my ignorance. I have been trying to track down the 1,2,3 step by step for installing snort on Red Hat Linux ver 9. I am quasi-learned for Linux but am getting the hang of it. This is what I have: the snort-2.0.1 directory (uncompressed w/ 22 folders in it). Don't know how to 'run' snort- in any mode. In Windows I guess I'd be looking for the snort.exe. Did read the online snort materials but they skipped right over the basic stuff, like installing it..
Any help and URL's (already read the ones from snort.org) would be appreciated.
Thanks-
Patrick