Snort mailing list archives

Re: wireless router with 4 port switch

From: twig les <twigles () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 16:59:06 -0800 (PST)

--- Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com> wrote:
At 06:04 PM 11/18/2003, Fred McFeeters wrote:
i have a wireless router with 4 port switch. i would like to
set snort up
so that it can monitor the switch traffic and also the
wireless. so i
could see if some one was attacking my wireless. can it be
done?

It's impossible to monitor switch traffic on a cheapo 4-port
switch,
without using something like macof to beat it into behaving
like a hub.

Sorry, but the very nature of what a switch is prevents
monitoring the
switch by the normal snort methods. All snort will see is
traffic going out
the switch port that your snort box is connected to, and some
broadcast arp
traffic.. it will not see anything else.

As for the wireless, that's out of my realm, but you've got
other problems
to deal with first, such as understanding what a switch is and
how a
sniffer works in the first place.

But all is not lost.  I have a little Netgear thingy (Cisco box
gave out after a decade) and I sniff quite nicely by
daisy-chaining a switch to it.  A hub would work too.  You just
won't get any traffic from boxes that are plugged directly into
the wireless router/switch, but that's a pretty easy problem to
get around (don't plug stuff into it).

=====