Snort mailing list archives

Re: HP Printers - SNMP Public Access udp

From: "Jason" <snort-users () tcpipbitch net>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 13:49:35 -0500 (EST)

I'm new to Snort and have been tweaking my configuration for the past
couple of weeks.  I've been noticing a LOT of "SNMP Public Access udp"
alerts being generated.  They appear to be caused by clients (appear to be
Win2K) connecting to HP Printers containing Jet Direct cards.  I was
considering writing pass rules to avoid these alerts, but am wondering if
that's a good idea.  Has anyone seen this sort of network activity?  Does
it indicate something configured incorrectly either on the client or with
the Jet Direct unit?

Its not only HP printers, but Xerox, canonn... in fact, almost any printer
that communicates with the workstations so to provide printer status info
(how much ink/toner, how full the paper trays are, if your printer
supports 2 sided printing and stapling etc) use snmp.  I get about 25000
snmp alerts a day due to the hundreds of printers in the org I work at.  I
have been individually ignoring printer IP's via bpf and suppression
rules.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob