Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort Machines

From: "Stacy J. Brandenburg" <sbranden () redhat com>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 16:20:47 -0500

From what I have seen you money is probably better used in getting a single proc system with the fastest CPU you can get. Dual CPU's depending on the setup/OS/etc does not get you anything if the application is not going to make use of it.

I am running snort on a twin 1.4GHz P3 CPU, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2.1AS machine and only one CPU is used for snort. Now I am also pushing 750Mb/s to it and the second proc is used in handling the interrupts for the NIC.

So it really depends on how you want to use the system.

Friesz, Ross wrote:
Hello all,

I plan on purchasing a new machine to run snort.  Currently I have a P3 500
with 512 MB RAM and an 18 Gig drive.  What I would like to know is what
others are using.

I was looking at an HP with dual processors and 36 GB SCSI drives.  Probably
would put in 1 GB Ram.

Has anyone used something like this, or would you recommend a different type
of system?
Thanks

Ross

--
= Stacy J. Brandenburg                    Red Hat Inc. =
= Sr. Network Engineer           http://www.redhat.com =