Snort mailing list archives

RE: RE: [Snort-users] Who doesn't care about virus r ules, and why?

From: "Williams Jon" <WilliamsJonathan () JohnDeere com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:19:53 -0600

There's not necessarily anything "wrong" with the signatures except for
the fact that many of them, the Webdav included, looks for content
within an active TCP session.  Since most networks are only sparsely
populated and, in some cases, firewalls and routing prevent internal
machines from communicating directly with stuff on the Internet, using a
rule that looks for content within a TCP session will miss 99% of the
connection _attempts_ made by an infected machine.  If the worm can't
establish a TCP session (i.e. a non-existant address, an address outside
of your network that isn't routed or is blocked by the firewall, etc.),
then it will almost never send the actual attack stuff that the
signature keys on.

Jon

  _____