Snort mailing list archives

Re: Who doesn't care about virus rules, and why?

From: Iain Hallam <ccidsh () swarfega plus com>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 14:30:17 +0000

Williams Jon wrote:
What we've ended up doing is monitoring the default route path for
our network and watching for either TCP SYNs that are going places
they shouldn't or TCP RST packets generated either by the firewall or
the odd host that is actually hit.  With thresholding, we can
generate fairly useful alerts in cases where, in Blaster's case, one
source address sends out TCP port 135 SYN packets to more than X
number of hosts in Y period of time.  This is so reliable, in nearly
every case we've used it on, that we are able to auto-generate email
alerts that go to someone else to actually _deal_ with the problem
rather than making the IDS staff track down and call each victim
independantly.

We're doing something similar with ICMP on our network, but how can you tell the difference between large numbers of hosts and large numbers of packets to a single host? Would you mind posting one of your rules to illustrate the point?

Thanks,

Iain.