Snort mailing list archives

Re: Minimum hardware config for Snort

From: Bennett Todd <bet () rahul net>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 15:27:18 -0400

2003-08-08T14:18:57 Sheahan, Paul:
Can anyone point me to a minimum recommended hardware config for a Snort
sensor (processor, memory and disk etc)?

No.

The minimum hardware config depends on too many other things ---
traffic levels, preprocessor config, tuning, signature set size, OS
choice, pcap version, the list goes on, every time I try and rattle
it off it's a longer list.

Given how cheap PCs are, a good basic thought is use a hand-me-down
junker that can barely run a minimal desktop, to snort a T1 or less,
use a normal desktop's worth of system to snort a T3 or so, use a
smokin' hot box to snort >>200Mbps. Very, very roughly.

-Bennett