Snort mailing list archives

Re: Can snort be used for single host Intrusion Detection?(A newbie Question)

From: "Andrew R. Baker" <andrewb () snort org>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2003 11:28:01 -0400

Erek Adams wrote:
On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, [iso-8859-1] Louis Lam wrote:

Okay, thanks, I see what you mean. I tried that too
but still manage to pick up attack traffic to another
host. Here is the scenario:

Suppose the host that has snort installed is
192.168.1.10, and i set my HOME_NET to
192.168.1.10/32.

Then i tried to use another machine 192.168.1.20 to
nmap another machine 192.168.1.30, the snort on
192.168.1.10 still can pick up the traffic and
generate alerts.

I understand that snort is more of a Netword based
IDS, but lets assume that i'm in a sad case where I
can't even trust my neighbours in the same network.
what other configuration needs to be done?

Honestly it sounds like a misconfig issue.  Once you make the change in
snort.conf, are you restarting Snort?  If you're not, you need to.  What
is your EXTERNAL_NET set to?  If it's still at 'any' change it to
'!$HOME_NET'.

One other thing that should be considered when running Snort to only protect a single host is to use the '-p' command line switch to disable promiscuous mode sniffing. Doing so will cause Snort to only see those packets addressed to the interface it is running on.

-A