Snort mailing list archives

RE: Help!!!

From: "Schmehl, Paul L" <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 15:25:20 -0500

Never forget, the packets must *pass* the sniffer interface for it to
report any alerts.  If you're doing a Nessus scan from box A to box B
like this:

A ------------>> B ----------->> C

                         snort

 snort will never see it.

If you're doing it like this:

A------------->> B

     snort

Then snort will see it.  *If* you have all your devices plugged in to a
hub *and* you are *certain* that it's not really a switch, then snort
should see anything on that hub, but that's a big if these days.  I've
seen many "hubs" at the local computer store that are really switches
when you read the specs.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas